Wednesday, August 1, 2012

A Brief update

I am currently on vacation and resting up from our last outing in the truck so I will try and keep this brief. I think it would be best to update you guys at these times on our current personal situation.  So whenever we are in town I think I will do this from now on.
On our last adventure out in the truck we discovered a number of things. This was the first time that we were out longer than two weeks and it was very hard on all of us physically and emotionally. I have come to the conclusion that it would be best to take a small two day break every two weeks, because that is what it took both of us to recover physically from the strain. Emotionally it has taken both of us about 4 - 5 days.
This time we also made the mistake of taking a number of full team loads. This resulted in myself being fatigued and my husband getting sick with a cold or something like that. Being workaholics I have the highest maybe overly optimistic hopes that we won't make that mistake again.
We have had to alter our shifts slightly, for a couple of  reasons. James has a company to run and has major issues with being woken up in the middle of the night to tale care of the baby. As a result we switched our shifts around. He now runs a full 600 miles and I only run 300 miles. I grab sleep between 8 and 9 pm and have between midnight and 9am to complete my shift. In my spare time I grab a nap when I can. I have a feeling that this might work a lot better in general for other trucking couples than my previous shift suggestions.
Our son is doing well. I have been keeping track of his development through the baby center website, and making sure that living on the truck isn't affecting his development. On this front I have good news for all you people with trucks and babies, he is currently on the spot for development at 3 months, he is gurgling (trying to say Mum and Hello and Uh oh), downing a good amount of formula and starting to play by himself (which to my enjoyment allows me to nap a little bit). He has opted for trying to walk instead of crawl, which I have been told is not uncommon - I did it myself apparently. So that is interesting. I will do a follow up post on that.
The cats have had quite an issue adjusting to the smaller space in the truck, but seem to have altered their territories to include the baby. There has been a slight issue with the two male cats when adjusting to the home environment, but this can be easily solved with an extra litter box.
All in all, we're rested and prepped to head out for another hard month. I leave you with this:

Nothing easy in life is worth having. You have to work hard for what is important.
Kirsty

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I just recently ran into your blog and was wondering if y'all are still trucking? I want to team drive with my fiance and my son who is 2.

    ReplyDelete