Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Teething

So our little one hasn't got teeth just yet, but he has definitely started the process so I figured this might be a good time to post up my own solutions that work in the truck. Everyone has their own ideas about this and every baby is different. For example - our little one extremely dislikes the regular teething rings with water in them, he also dislikes the cold rag, so for the longest time I was very much at my wits end. I have found some stuff that works for him though and thats all that counts. In this post I will put down your options from basic to medication.

1) Apple slices
Truck stops with McDonalds or fruit stands and Walmart
.50C - $1.50
Who would have thought this would be as amazing as it is? I was chopping an apple up, looked at the slices and thought, "I bet the little one would love to chew on this!" And I was right. He'll suck on and chew on it and though you might think it would break up after 30 minutes of abuse you would be wrong.

2) Beef Jerky
 Walmart and truck stops
$10 - $20 per bag
Like the apple slices it's a flavored chew. Be Careful to select a fairly solid piece though.

3)Pizza Crusts
Flying J's carry pizza
2 slices for $3
Like the beef jerky be careful - make sure its solid. I have not had any issues with there still being a little pizza sauce or garlic butter on it.

4) Ice cubes
Available at most truck stops 
Free unless they are prats (im looking at you Love's  - if they hassle you shine your beautiful baby at them)
Not so practical in the truck, but I have seen that walmart carries covered ice trays (if you have a freezer). Of course there is always truck stop ice.

5) Wet rag
Dip a receiving blanket in some ice water (or warm water, or apple juice  - whatever the little one likes). Give as is or keep cool in a fridge or cooler.

6) Teething rings
Walmart and other stores
$2-$8
Straight forward

7) Silicon teething rings
$5-$8
Walmart and other stores 
These are a little softer and I have found work better.\

8)Distractions
Priceless
Nothing beats a good distraction - a walk, playing out in the grass watching the vehicles go by, a good cartoon movie, a story book or maybe just playtime on the bed. 9 times out of 10 this works, even though it is difficult to keep the energy going if you are one buggered parent.

9) Orajel/Bonjella
Available at most truck stops walmarts
$3 - $10 depending on state, taxes, greedy stores. 
I would recommend to use this only on the worst occasions. It is a little strong and not recommended for those under 1 year without doctors approval. However (and I say this not being a doctor so be aware), I have given our little one on a number of really really really bad days a tiny little bit the size of a ball point pens point on his gums, just so that he can sleep from being so tired.

My only recommendation is to do what works for you with what you have available and that there will be good days and bad days, but you will get through it.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this guide, very helpful for those with baby on board the truck.

    ReplyDelete